Gallery of images.
Longlea Station was named Axe Creek Station when the line was opened in 1888. It was to be of similar construction as Strathfieldsaye Station.
May 1888 - An attempt was made to derail the contractor's train before the line opened. The points had been tampered with. Axe Creek - Attempted Train Wreck - On inquiry, the mishap that occurred on the Heathcote line on Saturday was more serious than at first supposed. The three points that are in the Axe Creek Station yard had all been tampered with and it was evident that whoever had tampered with them meant to derail the train - regardless of which way it came. Trucks were loaded with navvies and as they had all been paid on Saturday, it was surmised that the perpetrators had intended to rob them when they derailed. The engine was damaged but managed to continue working. Another attempt took place on the line at Moorabbee Hill with a piece of timber across the track. As the gradient is very steep and the engine had to travel slowly due to the previous day's damage, a serious calamity may have been averted. [29/05/1888 - Bendigo Advertiser]. Axe Creek - Attempted Train Wreck - A more detailed account of the derailment - stones on the track and metal between the points. The matter is in the hands of the Police. [01/06/1888 - McIvor Times].
July 1888 - Tenders for the erection of goods sheds and platforms are let.
October 1888 - The line between Sandhurst and Heathcote is opened for traffic. Like all stations on the line, Axe Creek, as it was originally named, is opened for light goods not requiring crane power or shed accommodation. The station is located at 92 miles, 70 chains, 33 links (approx. 148.61 rail kilometres) from Melbourne and at 588ft (179.3m) above Low Water Mark. It was created on the Axedale side of what is now Longlea Lane, a few hundred metres from the McIvor Highway.
Axe Creek - Station Post Office - Mr. J.H. McColl, MLA, receives a letter from the Deputy Postmaster General stating that a post office at the Axe Creek Station will receive due consideration. [21/01/1889 - Bendigo Advertiser].
Axe Creek - Consignment Theft - Consignors and consignees often report theft of edibles on the Victorian Railways. A well-known resident of Taradale reports the theft of several pounds of peaches and grapes in a consignment from Axe Creek. [11/02/1889 - Bendigo Advertiser].
Axe Creek - Station Post Office - A notice of the opening of the Axe Creek Station Post Office. [21/02/1889 - The Argus], [21/02/1889 - The Bendigo Advertiser].
Sandhurst-Heathcote - Freight Arrangements - Packages not exceeding 5cwt can now be accepted at Strathfieldsaye, Axe Creek and Derrinal stations. [08/03/1889 - Bendigo Advertiser].
1897 - The carriage dock is removed. [Less than ten years after opening].
March 1889 - Mr. J.H. McColl, MLA, receives notice that a post office will be opened at Axe Creek Station on March 1, in charge of Mr. John Betts, Stationmaster. Packages not exceeding 5cwt can now be accepted at Axe Creek.
October 1889 - A Bachelors' Social is given by the ladies of Axe Creek at the station goods shed.
1904 - Axe Creek is renamed Longlea after the Axedale Stationmaster (Supervising Stationmaster) raised a name change with the Shire of Strathfieldsaye following a discussion with the Victorian Railways Commissioners about delivery address difficulties. [The general area was commonly referred to as Axedale as it was in the parish of Axedale West which covered land east of the nearby Axe Creek].
May 1925 - The station is reduced to No-one-in-Charge. The 1927 Victorian Railways Grades Book still shows a single departmental residence at the station.
August 1956 - Closed to passengers.
July 1958 - The passenger and goods platform is removed.
December 1958 - Longlea, and the line between Rangelea and Heathcote, is finally closed to all traffic after being deferred for a short period.
John William Betts - to May 1892. Transferred to Derrinal. Dismissed on 07/12/1892 (from Rigg of the Railways - Tom Rigg)
Martha Knight, Station Mistress - 1901 Newspaper article.No-one In Charge from 1925.
This site is hosted by CoffeeCup S-Drive.
Comments and suggestions may be e-mailed to