1930 to 1939

Historical information from 1930 to 1939.

History
1930
1931
1932
1933
1934
1935
1936
1937
1938
1939

February, 1930

Motorists are urged to take more care when approaching level crossings.


April, 1930

Mr. Clapp, Chief Railways Commissioner, appears in court to defend against action taken by the M.B. Rail Anchor Company and Walter Thomas McLean for an alleged patent infringement. McLean says that, while employed by the Commissioners as a blacksmith, he invented a rail anchor and entered into an arrangement with the Commissioners regarding evaluation of the anchor. No valuation has been made, and no time for giving one has ever been given. Mr. Clapp says that when he became Chief Commissioner, Vaughan anchors were in use, and they have tried Adderley, Fair and the M.B. anchor. They paid the patent fee and entered into a licence. The case is not concluded.

From its position on the crest of the Dividing Range, 1,213 feet [370m] above sea leavel and 42.5 miles [68km] from Melbourne, Kilmore enjoys a pleasant climate throughout the year and has never known a drought. The township has a population of approximately 900 and is the centre of a district devoted to mixed farming. District stations of Willowmavin, Moranding and High Camp, are supervised by the Stationmaster, Kilmore.

The 2,378 passenger journeys made from Kilmore during the year, do not give a true indication of the degree to which the railways are patronised, as the bulk of passengers use Kilmore East Station where a more suitable service is provided. Two cars operate a service between Kilmore and Kilmore East. At present, Kilmore Station is under the control of Mr. P.M. O'Sullivan and Operating Porter W.L. Wicking is his assistant.


March, 1931

The Bendigo City Council accepts the tender of Mr. M.H. Beard for the cartage of spalls from their municipal quarries to the Axedale Station for the year - at an unreadable price per ton.


July, 1931

• Weekly Notice WN35/31 of 24/07/1931 advises that, at Kilmore, the Divided Staff a/c High Camp has been removed, and a Composite Staff has been provided in the Tooborac section a/c High Camp or Pyalong.

• Weekly Notice WN35/31 of 24/07/1931 issues a General Appendix amendment to delete High Camp as a Temporary Train Staff Station by Divided Staff, and another amendment that High Camp may open as an Intermediate Composite Block Post in the Kilmore - Tooborac Electric Staff section when Pyalong is not.


September, 1931

• Weekly Notice WN35/31 of 03/09/1931 advises that the Tooborac Stationmaster has been removed, and the station is now worked under Caretaker conditions by a Signal Porter.


April, 1932

Mr. V.A. Deane, Axedale, is fined £9 for driving an unregistered motor car and for driving a car without a driver's licence.


November, 1932

Since February, the Forestry Department has handled 2,323 tons of firewood for Bendigo unemployed. In addition, 12,000 tons of wood were sent by rail from Bagshot and Longlea stations for the unemployed of Melbourne.


February, 1933

A record 3,000 cases of apples are railed from Longlea for shipping via steamers Port Campbell, Meriones and Turakina for London and Glasgow, and 2,950 cases are consigned from Bendigo.


March, 1933

Since the export season commenced a little more than a month ago, 18,000 cases of fruit, chiefly apples and pears, have been sent from Bendigo and Longlea.

In one week, 4,612 cases of export apples are sent from Bendigo and Longlea stations bound for London, Hull and Hamburg - 2,693 cases from Longlea and 1,919 cases from Bendigo.


May, 1933

Recent complaints concerning unsatisfactory material being used for road top-dressing have resulted in the Bendigo City Council asking the City Engineer to prepare cost estimates for providing new machinery at the Axedale quarries for producing screenings and toppings.


May, 1933

In connection with Children's Day, eighteen special trains run from Bendigo and between 4,000 and 5,000 persons travel by rail. Crowds gather on the banks of the Campaspe River at Axedale, the Loddon River at Bridgewater and at Ravenswood, Goornong, Marong and Harcourt.


December, 1933

The rail motor, returning from Bendigo, collides with a motor truck at the Ingham crossing [Quarry Road]. Truck driver, Edward Parsons is thrown clear. The truck is wrecked and the rail motor is damaged.


March, 1934

Since the start of the fruit season, 4,300 cases have been sent from Bendigo and large quantities from Longlea, destined for London, Glasgow, Hull and Rotterdam.


July, 1934

• Weekly Notice WN30/34 of 12/07/1934 issues a General appendix amendment that McIvor Timber Coy's Siding is out of use and disconnected, and the Staff Lock removed. Also that Trench and Coy Pty Ltd Siding has been reopened with the points each end secured by a Staff Lock.


August, 1934

• Weekly Notice WN33/34 of 14/08/1934 issues a Goods Rates Book amendment to delete Mcivor Timber Coy's Siding.


November, 1934

• Weekly Notice WN47/34 of 20/11/1934 advises that, at McIvor Timber Coy's Siding, the shunters gangways have been removed from the bridge at 63M 39C 41L.


July, 1935

The Transport Board considers and grants an application for a tourist service radiating from Bendigo - subject to the applicant furnishing details of routes and satisfactory fares. The Board also deals with applications for passenger services between Bendigo and Melbourne via Romsey, Lancefield, Pyalong, Heathcote and Axedale. These applications are opposed by the Railways and the Board reserves its decision.


January, 1936

The annual picnic of the Operative Bakers is held at Axedale with a special train carrying 150 people.


March, 1936

The annual picnic organised by the Victoria Trades Hall Council is held at Axedale with a special train conveying a large crowd.


September, 1936

• Weekly Notice WN39/36 of 29/09/1936 advises that the No. 2 Road at High Camp has been removed.


January, 1937

The annual district seaside excursion is expected to fill an overgrown train with animated excursionists. The special train will leave Longlea at 6am, calling at stations en route, reaching Melbourne at 10.35am and returning at 7.20pm.


March, 1937

The Kilmore-Heathcote Road [Northern Highway] is inspected and the following signs are found wanting: Three rail crossing signs, viz., High Camp, near Fullards and north of Percival's Bridge; Township sign at Pyalong; Information sign at Mollison's Creek and, if considered necessary, School sign at Pyalong School.


December, 1937

Three persons are injured when a gang's motor trolley strikes an employee at the entrance of the North Bendigo Workshops. Two railway employees were returning from Axedale.


May, 1938

At High Camp, Mr. Clapp promises that trucking yards will be finalised before the end of the year. He receives no requests at Willowmavin and Kilmore. The stay at Kilmore is protracted on account of an engine mishap on the main line in the vicinity of Heathcote Junction which prevents a clear passage.


July, 1938

The Commonwealth Railways fail to obtain clear radio reception between Adelaide and Perth. Consequently, passengers will be advised of the progress of the Third Test at stopping places and by signs placed along the route by settlers with wireless sets.


September, 1938

The Railways Commissioners once again consider a law requiring motorists to stop before going over a level crossing. There is another suggestion that trains should slow to 20mph [32km] in the suburban area.


October, 1938

The bluestone quarrying plant, building and machinery at the quarry at what was originally known as Ingham Siding is offered for sale by tender. It is under the name of Axedale Bluestone Quarries Pty. Ltd. [Trench and Co.?]

• Weekly Notice WN45/38 of 31/10/1938 advises that the Down Starting Signal at Heathcote Junction has been removed from Post 5 and placed on new Post 5B (left hand side of line). Post 1 (bracket post two Distant Signals) replaced by single arm straight mast 210 yds further out.


December, 1938

• Weekly Notice WN50/38 of 13/12/1938 advises that the hand gates at 42M 57C, Foote Street, Kilmore, have been abolished, and cattle pits provided in lieu.


April, 1939 - The Great Depression is ending.

A railway engine is derailed at Tooborac when flood debris is swept across the line.

A serious flood occurs near Longlea. Trains are delayed and passengers are taken to their destination in motor cars.


July, 1939

A proposed deviation of the main road between High Camp and Pyalong is mentioned in Council. The deviation is planned to eliminate two railway crossings. [The deviation is to the McIvor Road, now Northern Highway]


November, 1939 - World War II.

The Heathcote Show is to be held, with the usual special train, and the usual after show dance in the Shire Hall.


This site is hosted by CoffeeCup S-Drive.
Please email any comments, errors or additions to